Wednesday, September 26, 2012

9/26/12
We arrived Berlin this afternoon after the 4 hour train ride from Frankfurt & immediately began trying to figure out the subway & train system here.  There are helpful info niches in the massive terminal buildings, where we bought a 3 day rail pass, but it was still challenging.  We had a few back tracking episodes, up & down lots of stairs, many escalators, & even a funicular, but we prevailed & got to our hotel, a Best Western, which is more than adequate.  This is a picture of the beautiful Hauptbahnhof (train station) in Frankfurt.  That's Atlas holding up the world on top.


_
I've noticed that the men in Germany seem to take care with their hair styles.  There are lots of asymmetrical cuts in front, on the sides, in back, & the guys appear to use lots of products to keep their hair in place.  I'd say more than the women I've seen with the exception of teen aged girls.  Most women I've observed are wearing more casual hair styles.  Men are also wearing something new to me---man pries, aka, capris for men!  They come to midway between the knee & ankle.  I suppose this is summer attire, & by the way, it was 72 degrees in Berlin today.  Perfect for man pries!  Sorry, no pictures of hair or clothes yet.  I'll try.

Just as we walked out of the train station, I saw this painted bear, & then we noticed a few more around town.  Must be like the Chicago cows or something.  
Also just outside the station was a group of young people with petitions to sign & waving placards with this sign prominently displayed.  Look carefully--it's a half Obama, half Romney face, & I don't know what the words say, but I'm guessing they're not warm & fuzzy.  
We dropped off our things at the hotel & struck out on another train adventure, this time to the Brandenburg Gate area (picture above).  We walked around that bustling area & over to see the Reichstag as well.
 
The American Embassy is in that same area.  It's huge & very modern.
Then we went to the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe, an area about  the size of a city block,with  3000 symbolic pillars, all concrete & in different sizes.  The ground slopes down & back up among the stones to symbolize a hopeless, helpless feeling.  Many people were strolling through with great quiet respect.  
We ended our jaunt with dinner at a German restaurant.  Dave got meatloaf, & when it came I thought it was a grilled cheese sandwich, cut corner to corner.  Very strange, but he said he liked it a lot.  Turns out, it was like fried bologna.  With it he had a sweet cucumber, cabbage salad & a mound of mashed potatoes.  I ordered what else---schnitzel, & it was really good.  My potatoes were dressed with dill & cucumbers served warm & a nice tossed salad.  Back to the gym when we get home!

Starbucks are everywhere, so I know where to get tomorrow morning's coffee!  Now to put my feet up & rest for more walking tomorrow.  



1 comment:

  1. Hi Judy...
    I'm really enjoying reading your Blog. You're doing a great job.
    We'll miss you at Book club tomorrow.
    Love,

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete